Wednesday 9 May 2012

Ricotta kale pasta

Exams are finally done, and I have time to do so many things that I didn't have time to do before, like clean, and cook. And I'll have to pack. I have a very busy schedule for the next two days which involves wrapping things up here in Toronto, before returning to Ottawa. I figured I would take a few minutes to add a few of the delicious meals I've made in the past little while. This one I got from Eleanore's blog. She made a ricotta spinach pasta that raved about, so I just slightly adapted it since I only had kale, not spinach. I also had my favorite way to squash on the side: acorn squash with a little brown sugar.



Spinach Kale Pasta
Ingredients
4 cups of whole wheat rotini2/3 cup ricotta cheese1 teaspoon grated lemon rind3/4 teaspoon salt, divided1/2 teaspoon black pepper2 tablespoons olive oil, divided1 1/2 cups diced red pepper1/3 cup chopped walnuts 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or pressed 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice3 cups fresh kale

Directions:
1. Cook pasta according to package, drain in colander; reserve 1/2 cup pasta water
2. combine ricotta, 1 tsp lemon rind, 1/4 tsp salt, and black pepper
3. heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add bell pepper. saute 2 minutes. Add walnuts, 1/2 tsp salt, and garlic, saute 2 minutes. Stir in remaining oil and juice. Add pasta, pasta water and kale; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Top with ricotta mixture


Acorn squash
Ingredients
1 acorn squash cut into quarters, and seeded
1 tbsp brown sugar per acorn

When the squash is prepared, put into a microwavable baking dish. Put some water in the bottom of the dish, enough to cover the bottom with 5mm of water. Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap, leaving a small space for the steam to vent (or if you have a lid for the dish, just use that!). Microwave for 10 minutes at a time on high. Check every 10 minutes to test for softness. I think mine took 20 minutes. put the brown sugar on the acorn while it is still warm, and it will melt onto it, and add just enough sweetness.


No comments:

Post a Comment