Wednesday 2 May 2012

Granola, many ways

Oh wow, exams are draining me of all my energy! And time. I have such a huge backup of recipes to post. I've decided that before I start studying for the next set of exams, I'll post at least one! This one is so easy to make, and so incredibly versatile. I made some last night while I was studying. I'm talking about granola. Every time I make some, I wonder why I would ever buy granola at the store, and then I realize that it's because I can be excruciatingly lazy at times, or busy. Busy maybe sounds better. I've made this so many different ways, I can't even remember all the combinations. I'll post the basic recipe, then mention where you can make changes.



3 cups oatmeal
1 cup nuts (walnuts, slivered almonds, chopped pecan)
1/2 cup seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup coconut
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup dried fruit

1. Mix the oatmeal, nuts, seeds, coconut, brown sugar together in a bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the honey and oil.
3. Mix the liquid with the oatmeal mixture in a 13x9 pan. and cook at 250F for 1h15mn, stirring every 15 minutes.
4. Mix in the dried fruit when the granola is removed from the oven.

Variations: Yesterday, I added 2 scoops of unsweetened cocoa, and dried blueberries, so good! you can also add flax, or bran, or hemp, any other health food. Such a versatile recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment