Sunday 5 February 2012

Leek, potato and carrot soup

Every time I go to the grocery store, I end up buying more vegetables than I could ever eat on my own. Before I left for Ottawa, I decided to use some of them up to make some soup to freeze for days when I don't want to make any dinner, or don't have time, which frankly happens quite often. 
This time, I had carrots, potatoes, and leeks, so what better to make than  soup!

1 tbsp vegetable oil
3 leeks, white part sliced
2 potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
8 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 cups chicken broth
more water

Heat the oil over medium-high heat, and cook the leeks until slightly browned and softened. Add the carrots and potatoes to the pot.

Bring the mixture to a boil, and let it simmer until the vegetables are softened, maybe 30 minutes? I was doing school work in the meantime, so it must have been about that much. 

Once all the vegetables are soft, blend it with a handmixer. 
Done! I just put it into containers and into the freezer, and dinner is ready for this week at some point! I may add in some cheese (maybe feta?) into one of my bowls of soup just to see how it tastes. Sometimes having the same thing too often gets boring, so this could make it more interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment