Sunday 5 February 2012

Snacks for the superbowl I am not watching :(

I am so sad to be missing the Super Bowl, instead I get to sit on a train, download class notes, and answer emails. That sounds like more fun though, right? Nope, not to me either. At least I am following the game on TSN. In honour of the Super Bowl though, I figured I would post about the caramel popcorn that I made a while ago, as studying snack food. Actually so bad for your teeth, but I'm not a dentist yet!


This popcorn is so good, it's really hard to keep it for more than 2 days, and it's so easy to make!

1/4 cup unpopped popcorn
1/2 cup butter
1 cup icing sugar

Pop the popcorn over the stove top. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pot with a tight fitting lid. Add the popcorn, and heat it, moving the pot around often until the first kernel pops. Make sure the lid is on, or else the popcorn will fly out of the pot! Keep moving the pot until the kernels popping slows down (2 seconds between each). Take the pot off the heat. 

Add in the butter and icing sugar and stir it with a wooden spoon. the butter will start to melt. Make sure the kernels get coated with the butter and sugar. The mixture will start to caramelise and darken. Don't take the popcorn off the heat too quickly, or you won't get good flavour. Wait until it gets nice and golden brown, and spread the popcorn onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper to cool. It was super tempting to eat, but don't! I did, and totally burnt my tongue. wait til it's cooled down, and you can eat it. 

Another thing that I have also done is add in nuts, like walnuts, and it adds a little extra to the popcorn when you are eating it. And maybe a small healthy bit into an otherwise pretty unhealthy snack! But delicous snack, I really have to emphasize the delicious factor. 

1 comment:

  1. yum this looks delicious!!! will definitely have to try it

    ReplyDelete